Custom software development is one of the smartest management solutions of businesses globally and a way to get a competitive edge in the market. But what exactly is custom software development and how can it be beneficial to your business? Read Eximias’ article below and learn some essential information about custom software.
Custom software development: Definition and Example
The process of designing, developing, deploying, and supporting software for a particular group of users, functions, or organizations is known as custom software development.
They are different from commercial off-the-shelf (COTS) software, which often solve particular problems. Another trait is that COTS is intended for internal use, not for resale. An example of COTS software would be Microsoft Office.
Instead, an application that records patient documents and visits to a local clinic might be an example of dedicated software or custom software. Bespoke software is another name for it.
Custom software is created in the same way as any traditional software. However, while methodologies may be similar, custom software development frequently necessitates a single, focused effort in upgrading, customizing, or managing applications.
To better understand this term, consider the following definitions:
- Application modernization – is the practice of using existing technologies and updating or upgrading them to modern standards.
- Application customization COTS – refers to custom software development, the concept of modifying COTS applications to suit individuals.
- Application management needs – optimizing software to support tasks such as installations, updates, and other service-related support functions.
Here are 10 examples of custom software applications in business fields:
- Content management systems (CMS)
- Customer relationship management (CRM)
- A business process automation system
- Automated invoicing
- Company-facing / Customer-facing web portals
- E-commerce software solutions
- Bug tracking software
- POS technology
- Delivery services
- Banking services
The Benefits of Custom Software Development
Developing custom software requires significant resources, which adds to the expenses that might over budget a fresh business. Even so, custom software development is essential because it allows companies to achieve their needs at a lower cost than buying different software for different utilities, then maintaining and changing COTS in the long term.
Therefore, our Eximias team produces flexible software to meet the different needs of businesses. From there, some of the benefits of custom software can also be mentioned.
- Customizable: Custom software is created specifically for your company. Not only will it serve precisely the conditions and needs that your business needs, but it also will remove the features that businesses do not need to optimize in terms of hardware, software, operation, and cost.
In fact, during the custom software creation process, you can find several ways to optimize your processes by bringing you highly optimized automation solutions. The results would be higher productivity and increased efficiency for your business, bringing higher financial rewards.
- Security: When choosing business management software, security will be an unavoidable issue to concern, a top priority for a software that is “specifically optimized for a business,” if you may. A custom security system could perform better than any available software on the market, including features for better business functioning and a team on hand who will take care of all your concerns and improve the functions for you at all times.
- Flexible: When outsourcing development to another company, it is always best to make sure that maintenance is built into your contracts and that they are flexible enough to accommodate changes as needed at any time.
What you need is agile and flexible software. If you want all the functions to link with each other, or you may need to create interfaces that make it easier to move data from one application to another, then the advantages of integrated software can support you with those issues. This compatibility can be integrated into the custom software development process. On the other hand, they are very hard to come by in commercial tools.
Custom software development makes work easier and faster through interface and feature simplification, which will increase your profit and further reduce the associated costs.
It is common for commercial companies to release newer software versions and discontinue support for older versions. Your business’s current commercial software, which is being used to commercialize your entire business, could be suspended, and no further updates or enhancements can be received.
On the other hand, custom software is always available and can be updated as often as possible with extended software support. You will receive better support from teams that work on custom software than standard software, which means that you have a dedicated team available to maintain said software.
Things to note when considering custom software development:
- Identify your business needs.
- Consider the hardware, human resources, and the cost.
- Look for a reputable custom software development company with a proven track record.
- Collaborate closely with the software development team.
- Mention your security concerns now, or ones that may arise in the future.
- Ask for after-delivery product support and what they offer.
Custom software development can provide many benefits for a business, as we have broken down in this article. As companies’ needs nowadays are more specialized and complex back-end systems, custom software has become an irreplaceable necessity to satisfy every one of them.
Also, personalization doesn’t mean it has to be expensive. Leveraging and adding new functionality to an existing solution can help you realize many benefits of customization at a low cost.
Hopefully, this article has brought lots of helpful information about developing custom software for businesses through our blog. If you have any questions about smart solutions for businesses or digitization, please feel free to contact Eximias.